seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Peruvian culture of heirloom potato varieties & traditional harp playing

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Peruvian culture of heirloom potato varieties & traditional harp playing
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:55:45 +0000

I had some of the best-tasting produce(Apples and potatoes, especially) and grains (Quinoa, Amaranth)and eggs and coffee I've ever had in my life in Peru- Bar none. In those days I didn't yet have a refractometer, but I'll bet the produce was exceedingly high-Brix.

And native flatbreads yum, panfried right on the sidewalk. Delish.

I brought back 2 pounds of Cocoa powder to the US also, and have never found any to equal it here in the USA.

Thank you for posting those links :).

I remember looking down on the top of a rainbow in the ruins of Macchu Picchu.

I spent weeks walking back and forth between Cuzco and Sachsayhuaman, and going cross-country to Macchu-Picchu and Ollantaytambo and Aguas Calientes.

The farmer's fields were beautiful in the Sunset light, fading into twilight. I thought the fields were mostly grain crops..

One thing that stood out to me is in the indigenous residential neighborhoods Homes were constructed of mud and straw), food plants were planted wherever there was a crevice in the rocks or a depression in a boulder that had collected a little topsoil, there would most often be a lone tomato planted in there, or some other kind of food-producing plant.

I never saw anything like a garden bed which we see mostly over here (USA), unless it was on someone's balcony in the city of Cuzco. In Cuzco, there were also many homes in town which kept a flock of chickens on the balcony..

Ah, what memories..

Whenever I go back, seeds are coming home with me.

Linda

..still smiling..

  • Re: [Seed Keepers] Peruvian culture of heirloom potato varieties & traditional harp playing, LINDARAY, 02/29/2008