seedkeepers - Re: [Seed Keepers] Fort Knox- Positive Possibilities???

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: LINDARAY@att.net
  • To: Seed Keepers <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Seed Keepers] Fort Knox- Positive Possibilities???
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 19:39:48 +0000

No, but I think we ought to. I have my own little 5-gallon bucket of Heirloom seed varieties, and that's not much in the scheme of things.. Unless we all do it, and then it becomes a very important resource.

I *have* found a little info on Organic farmers doing growout for seed banks within the US though, and Oregon Tilth is apparently involved, or was at the beginning.

This info is from 2001 or so, here's one link and the post that goes with it, from:

http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/agriculture-list-archives-1999-2001/seed-saving/seed-saving

Quote:
The Agricultural Research Service, USDA's chief scientific agency, maintains the National Plant Germplasm System. Its 27 repositories now hold about 437,000 specimens of germplasm--seed, cuttings and other tissue. Thousands of accessions are added each year. Researchers worldwide use the germplasm to breed crops with improved yield, nutrition, resistance to pests, disease and environmental stress or other traits.

ARS is cooperating with the Farmer Cooperative Genome Project to test a new way for organic growers, farmer cooperatives and small seed companies to tap into this storehouse of genetic diversity. FCGP members will grow fresh supplies of germplasm, following NPGS guidelines. These ensure, for example, that regenerated seed is true to type--not contaminated by pollen from nearby crops of the same species.

FCGP members will also develop marketable new varieties from germplasm they may never have known about otherwise. For example, an ARS repository in Corva llis, Ore., has more than 400 heirloom pear varieties. In Pullman, Wash., ARS maintains more than 200 lines of garlic. These represent most of the crop's genetic diversity. Only a few varieties account for nearly all commercial production, according to horticulturist Richard Hannan. He's based at ARS' Western Regional Plant Introduction Station in Pullman.

On March 27-28 in Salem, Ore., Hannan, Corvallis ARS plant pathologist
Joseph Postman and other scientists are among scheduled panelists at FCGP's first general meeting. Other plants with FCGP potential include heirloom varieties and wild relatives of tomato, lettuce, bean, broccoli, Egyptian onion, radish, blue and other Native American corn, blackberry, strawberry, Turkish grain legumes and little-known herbs such as black cumin.

More than 200 small family farmers, organic farmers, seed producers,
breeders and others will participate in FCGP, accord ing to J.J. Haapala. He is research and education director of Oregon Tilth, a growers' group in Salem that certifies organic growers and processors. Haapala administers a USDA Fund for Rural America grant to the FCGP.

----------
Scientific contact: Richard M. Hannan, ARS Western Regional Plant
Introduction Station, Pullman, Wash., phone (509) 335-1502, fax (509)
335-6654, hannan@wsunix.wsu.edu.
----------
This item is one of the news releases and story leads that ARS Information
distributes on weekdays to fax and e-mail subscribers. You can also get the
latest ARS news on the World Wide Web at
http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/pr/thelatest.htm.
* Feedback and questions to ARS News Service via e-mail: isnv@ars-grin.gov.
* ARS Information Staff, 5601 Sunnyside Ave., Room 1-2251, Beltsville MD
20705- 5128, (301) 504-1617, fax 504-1648.

"unsubscribe sanet-mg".
"subscribe sanet-mg-digest".

All messages to sanet-mg are archived at:
http://www.sare.org/san/htdocs/hypermail

Endquote..

Linda

-------------- Original message from tonitime@juno.com: --------------

Linda,
   What a fine thought this is.  Have you ever heard of any of  organic or BD  groups talk of such?
Toni

I'd like to see a committed Organic vault. I'd like to see a BD vault. I mean in *our own hands*, of course..

Linda