seedkeepers - [seedkeepers] Thanks to Lawrence

seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Seed Keepers

  • From: "Woody" <wderyckx@peoplepc.com>
  • To: <seedkeepers@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [seedkeepers] Thanks to Lawrence
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 10:25:02 -0800

To the  Seed Keepers,

I just want to say thanks to Lawrence London for putting this list on the web and so carefully and prudently leading us through a name change and taking care of all the changes necessary.  I know I speak for many as I appreciate his good work.  Thank you, Lawrence.

And thanks also to all the rest of you who have answered questions, shared information - the links to useful web pages and lists of good seed companies and other seed saving groups.  This is shaping up to be a great community here.  Let's keep focused on seed.

Now, let us get back to sharing seeds and information and encouragment.

I have been going through my seeds and like many of you, I've started planting indoors.  I see I have a few more extra seeds of my family's favorite winter squash - Sweetmeat - which I am willing to share or trade...  This is an old NorthWest USA favorite - developed by the Gill Seed Company in Oregon a long time ago.  We've been selecting seed keeping for about 20 years here. I expect a few times over the years a bit of pollen from another C maxima has found its way into this wonderful squash but I cannot see any effect from any outcrossing - certainly not detrimental - this is one of  the wonders of the gardening world.   It's  a medium size (8 lb) long keeper of the very best eating quality.  I'm happy to send 6 seeds to a few folks here  who request some.  I'm still looking for pole beans to try out and possibly incude in our collection too.

all best wishes to Seed Keepers
Woody