person_county_beekeepers_association - Re: [PCBA] queens

  • From: Randall Austin <s.randall.austin AT gmail.com>
  • To: person_county_beekeepers_association AT mailman1.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [PCBA] queens
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 16:29:31 -0400

Kim,

Was the queen there on April 16? If so, the best guess is that they swarmed and you are now in "The Twilight Zone" between having any brood and seeing evidence of the new queen. I would give them another week, at least. And/or take a frame of eggs from another hive, give it to this one and see if they make queen cells (which would indicate that they are in fact queenless).

As far as queens, Bailey Bee Supply in Hillsborough has Georgia queens in stock and will continue to get new ones weekly all through the season. Call first because they often sell out before the end of the week.

Randall