permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What Causes Poverty? Not a Lack of Money, but a Lack of Social Relationships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What Causes Poverty? Not a Lack of Money, but a Lack of Social Relationships
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 10:51:46 -0600

“What was excluded from that policy was a clear pathway out of poverty,
like education”. This is sometimes true and very often not true. Education
is rarely sited high on the list of needs by poor communities when actually
asked what they need. And I'd argue that social relationships are still
material, and at the least will require material resources like money to
build and maintain. The authors thesis suggests otherwise, as if invisible
structures can be solved and managed invisibly, which is a downright
harmful supposition to be putting out there, especially in an era that is
likely to include significant defunding of social programs. I'd like to see
the author take this and develop a thesis on *what causes a lack of social
relationships, *which would be where the rubber meets the road for
solutioning poverty. As usual, academics are very good at describing
problems, not so good at solving them, and it's a very good debate about
whether describing problems divorced from solutions is actually a positive
contribution in the first place.

Here is a phenomenal example of solutioning poverty via social
relationships and expanded networks. This is a simple connection being
made, facilitated by ecological thinking. It is unfortunately reliant on
high technology, which makes it low in resiliency, but demonstrates a real
world approach that all of us working in poor communities could learn from.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiOXAkZ_fLA

Jason Gerhardt