permaculture - Re: [permaculture] What Causes Poverty? Not a Lack of Money, but a Lack of Social Relationships

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] What Causes Poverty? Not a Lack of Money, but a Lack of Social Relationships
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2016 10:39:03 -0500

On Sat, Nov 26, 2016 at 11:51 AM, Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
wrote:

> “What was excluded from that policy was a clear pathway out of poverty,
> like education”. This is sometimes true and very often not true. Education
> is rarely sited high on the list of needs by poor communities when actually
> asked what they need. And I'd argue that social relationships are still
> material, and at the least will require material resources like money to
> build and maintain. The authors thesis suggests otherwise, as if invisible
> structures can be solved and managed invisibly, which is a downright
> harmful supposition to be putting out there, especially in an era that is
> likely to include significant defunding of social programs. I'd like to see
> the author take this and develop a thesis on *what causes a lack of social
> relationships, *which would be where the rubber meets the road for
> solutioning poverty. As usual, academics are very good at describing
> problems, not so good at solving them, and it's a very good debate about
> whether describing problems divorced from solutions is actually a positive
> contribution in the first place.
>
> Here is a phenomenal example of solutioning poverty via social
> relationships and expanded networks. This is a simple connection being
> made, facilitated by ecological thinking. It is unfortunately reliant on
> high technology, which makes it low in resiliency, but demonstrates a real
> world approach that all of us working in poor communities could learn from.
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiOXAkZ_fLA
>
> Jason Gerhardt

This should interest you. It is a TED talk about several people one of
which is a Black
man living in an urban food desert and wanting to change things for the
better. In addition to giving away home grown food he encourages community
members to also plant gardens for produce to give away. They establish a
distributed network of growers, carrots, onlions, fruit and cabbage and
more. He noticed the number of folks in poor health caused by poor diet and
low quality, processed, chemically grown foods and decided to make changes
to benefit them and raise overall health awareness. He is an entertaining
speaker and worth the listen.

Go here to listen to the podcast. His is the second in line interview.

November 25, 2016 Giving It Away

In this hour, stories from TED speakers who are "giving it away" in new and
surprising ways, and the things that happen in return. (Original broadcast
date: May 17, 2013).

Podcast link is on this page:

http://www.npr.org/podcasts/510298/ted-radio-hour

--