permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Reducing fluids

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Reducing fluids
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 07:23:26 +0200

Evaporation & Solar dryers are marginally viable here as Ireland is a small island of 32,000 square miles. It is largely as clean as it's reputation, BTW, another do pollute the seas, like most countries, we only affect one. Spoilage and bacterial infection are concerns with both vinegar must and maple syrup.

A centrifuge I hadn't thought of. Freezing is another option. But both work best where different components do not form a homogeneous solution, and are easily separated, which is not the case with grape must for Balsamic, ot Maple Syrup.
--
Declan Moriarty
Sent from my Android tablet with mail.com Mail. From Dublin, Ireland.
On 20/07/2016, 23:44 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 5:24 PM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> In the case of two particular preparations, Ba!samic Vinegar & Maple
> Syrup, the water content is reduced, drastically so in the case of Maple
> Syrup, by boiling water off. That temperature kills enzymes, bacteria
> (Friend or foe) and may bill for flavour, vitamins and other useful
> constituents.
>
> Is there any alternative to this for reducing fluids? Freezing?
> --

Evaporation.

Centrifuge (mabe a homemade one with a spotlessly clean recycled horizontal
top loading washing machine or any homebrew spinner even a salad spinner.

Solar dryer

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com