permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Topic(s) of This Mailing List?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "scrooge McDuck" <declan@planetmail.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Topic(s) of This Mailing List?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 23:13:36 +0200

I won't post on the future solution as it's a clear breach of netiquette, and because I am the chief complainer about off topic posts. Rigid rules should be few on mailing lists, but some people are taking this a bit too far imho.

I will email you privately and anyone else who is interested. Give me a day or two. Things get done extremely slowly in my condition and the work of minutes becomes something that takes hours.

I read your reply to Scott and gather we are shifting from no moderation to some moderation. You are correct that strict moderators stifle dialogue, I must allow this some time. OTOH, I purposely avoid insults, controversy and gossip and do not want them here masquerading as Permaculture.
--
Declan Moriarty
Sent from my Android tablet with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 15/07/2016, 19:45 Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM, scrooge McDuck <declan@planetmail.net>
wrote:

> I have what I believe will be the answer that will be enforced on the
> world's problems but feel constrained from presenting it here.
> Contemplating the future as I see it actually fans my interest in
> Permaculture.
>
> But this list appears to have little to do with Permaculture, despite the
> title. Events occasionally are mentioned but I am learning nothing.
> Personally I am considering unsubscribing. So what are the topic(s) that
> are going to be accepted here? Can we have those laid out? Because if is
> this a laissez-faire anything goes mailing list, I for one do not want to
> remain. It has become a Lost List.

If you read my reply to Scott you will see my plan for keeping this list on
course. It deals mostly with how to deal with posters and topics that a
number of people object to, an issue that could cause a number of people to
unsubscribe from the list. Some say tht certain human rights issues and
charlatanery within the permaculture movement provida ample justification
for breaking any list rules, stated or not.

Even though I am the same as Steve with off topic posts I much prefer
discussion centered around permaculture design and nuts and bolts making
those designs a reality on a site. I really don't even want to worry or
even think about anything else as these are the things that occupy nearly
all my time every day, year after year. There is a saying that those who
refuse to take care of themselves, who are unwilling to take full
responsibility for their well being, health and future can not be expected
to care for anyone else. I would like this list to show the way toward self
sufficiency, independence, sovereignty and community.

I won't lay down any rules banning discussion of some of the things Scrooge
has mentioned because I value the subscriber base.
Here is a great solution: if you don't like posts or threads hit the delete
key and this is even better: Post what you want people to respond to
yourself. Build better discussion threads that offer what you want. Delete
the rest or ignore it and above all do not respond to what you object to
i.e. don't feed the troll.

Scrooge writes:
"I have what I believe will be the answer that will be enforced on the
world's problems but feel constrained from presenting it here.
Contemplating the future as I see it actually fans my interest in
Permaculture."

I hope you will post this.

LL

--