permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Landowner GIS mapping course and map packages

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Landowner GIS mapping course and map packages
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 13:43:30 -0400

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 12:14 PM, Andrea S. Laliberte <
andrea.laliberte@earthmetrics.com> wrote:

> . I agree with you that using a GIS for describing even more detail, such
> as production in individual beds and crop rotation in each bed would be
> ideal, because you can link the spatial information with the database and
> track what happens over time.

That is what is needed and more, see below.

> There are not too many specific software options available for this,
> because this type of mapping falls in between the fine detail mapping used
> for landscape architecture planning (where you can map individual plants)
> and the general GIS software (ArcGIS etc.) usually aimed at broader areas
> and

> mostly used for spatial analysis. Most applications I have seen use a
> combination of those are customize the GIS tools, as I have done.

Maybe you could hack together a permaculture GIS application that you could
load a Permaculture plants and animals database into which would then
suggest options for garden bed plantings based on well researched
information contained in the database. Also, a chronology of data about the
beds themselves could be entered into a separate database so you would then
have a three way decision making tool based on 1) real time GIS data, 2)
the permaculture database and 3) historical data about all the beds on site.

Thanks for subscribing to this list. It is great to have a real, active GIS
professional here.

LL
vote Democrat in Nov
--