permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The Seas Will Save Us: How an Army of Ocean Farmers are Starting an Economic Revolution — invironment — Medium

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The Seas Will Save Us: How an Army of Ocean Farmers are Starting an Economic Revolution — invironment — Medium
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 22:41:26 -0400

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 10:13 PM, Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
wrote:

> wakame
> hiziki
> kombu
> dulse
> nori
> .....can all be used in traditional Japanese cuisine and that may be the
> best place to get started
> integrating seaweed into one's diet. The Irish also use this valuable food
> (Irish moss and other seaweed varieties plus seaside marsh plants), Mainers
> and Nova Scotians.
>
> miso soup:
> lightly sauteed green pepper, onion, cabbage and carrot then add water for
> soup
> miso paste liquified in a suribachi and added to stock with vegetables
> after it becomes warm
>
> serve with plain brown rice and sauteed tofu with tamari
> each meal component served in separate dishes
> eat with wooden or china spoon and chopsticks

Add different types of seaweed to these recipes:

cook organic brown rice in cast iron pot (I have been using a lot of
medium and short grain lately but Asian red and black rice are really
something else)

in small chef's wok:

put olive oil or other oil such as sesame, canola or peanut

put dried shitaake mushrooms in a bowl with hot water

chop carrots, green pepper, celery, onion, cabbage and put them in the
wok; add greens from the garden too if they are available

add soaked, soft shittake, reserve soak water to add to soup later

do not cook much, onions should be before turning transparent,
everything else al dente, greens when very light green

remove from wok and put in bowl, add water

use a suribachi and pestle to liquify your miso with cold water
put dulse in bowl with water to soak until soft

when vegetables and water have become warm add the miso, dulse and its
soak water and the shitaake soak water

dice tofu or tempeh and add to wok with more oil
add ume vinegar or other type; brown rice vinegar is very excellent,
ume is really a condiment
add coarse natural salt
add a lot of powdered herbs:
cayenne pepper
turmeric
a very little black or white pepper or leave it out altogether
cinnamon or Ceylon cinnamon or both
coriander
cumin
sometimes I add ground mustard though whole mustard might be good
ground ginger (haven't been using this but plan to start next batch)
lots of chopped garlic is good in this dish (haven't been using this
lately but will eventually)
Cook tofu or tempeh until done and not browned and when herbs
have fully coated it

Serve with miso soup and rice.

I prefer hatcho miso because I like the flavor and it is supposed to
have the most probiotic activity. Barley and rice miso are excellent
but hatcho gives you more food and benefit for the dollar.

<>

Corn Meal Pone

1 quart Indian meal
1 teaspoon salt
a little lard, melted
cold water to make a soft dough
Mould with the hands into thin oblong cakes, lay in a well greased pan
and bake very quickly. The common way is to mould into oval mounds,
higher in the middle than at th ends, shaping these rapidly and lightly
with the hands, by tossing the dough ver and over. This is done with
great dexterity by the Virginia cooks, and this corn meal pone forms a
part of every dinner. It is broken, not cut, and eaten very hot.

Ash cake

Is mixed as above. A clean spot is swept upon the hot hearth, the bread
put down and covered with hot wood ashes. It must be washed and wiped
dry before it is eaten. A neater way is
to lay a cabbage leaf above and below the pone. The bread is thus
steamed before it is baked and is made ready for eating by stripping off
the leaves.

Fried Pone

Instead of moulding the dough with the hands, cut into slices with a
knife. Try out some fat pork in a frying pan, and fry the slices in the
gravy thus obtained, to a light brown.
<>

(add or substitute seaweed, esp. dulse or nori)

http://blog.ringingcedars.com/
Corn Bread with Lamb’s Quarters

3 cups cornmeal

2 tsp baking soda

1/3 cup vegetable oil

2 tsp honey

2 cups water

2 TBSP apple vinegar

1/2 tsp sea salt

two big bunches of fresh lamb’s quarters leaves and stems (about 8 oz)

2 carrots

1 onion

/Cooking instructions:/

1. Mix water, vinegar, oil, honey.

2. Add cornmeal, baking soda, salt – mix well. Let it sit for 20-30
minutes so it won’t taste “grainy.”

3. Grate carrots, cut onion – cook them on a medium-heat pan until onion
turns golden brown, then add it to the mix.

4. Cut lamb’s quarters finely, add them to the mix and mix well.

5. Pour into a greased baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F (180
degrees Celsius) for 30-35 minutes.

Serve with a lentil soup or any other lentil- or bean-based dish. Enjoy!

Posted in Food for thought
<http://blog.ringingcedars.com/category/food-for-thought/>

<>

[Suggestion: "Put the dulse and wakame in a large bowl and cover with cold
water. Let soak 5 to 10 minutes, until softened. Drain in a colander, pat
dry and place in a serving bowl."
Drain seaweed soak water into container and save it to make miso soup; soak
shittake mushrooms in it then stir in miso; add to other lightly stirfried
vegetables and water to make the soup.
You can also add sun dried tomatoes and whole hot cayenne pepper pods to
the soak water along with the mushrooms.]

Seaweed Salad | The Splendid
Tablehttp://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/seaweed-salad

Seaweed Salad
*
Ingredients*

- 1 ounce dried red dulse seaweed
- 1 ounce dried green wakame seaweed
- 2 tablespoons rice-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi powder
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1 small carrot, peeled and sliced paper-thin
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces daikon radish, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 firm-ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 teaspoon toasted white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon toasted black sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 4 green onions, slivered

*Instructions*

**Put the dulse and wakame in a large bowl and cover with cold water. Let
soak 5 to 10 minutes, until softened. Drain in a colander, pat dry and
place in a serving bowl.

To make the dressing, whisk together the rice vinegar, sugar, ginger,
wasabi powder, soy sauce and sesame oil in a small bowl.

Spoon half the dressing over the seaweed, add the lime juice and toss
gently. Taste and add a small amount of salt if necessary. Surround the
salad with the carrot, radish, daikon, cucumber and avocado. Season them
lightly with salt and drizzle with the remaining dressing.

Sprinkle the salad with the white and black sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and
green onions.

Recipe by David Tanis, The New York
Times
--