permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Consilience Enhances Resilience

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Consilience Enhances Resilience
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:05:09 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steven McFadden <chiron@chiron-communications.com>
Date: Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 10:30 AM
Subject: [SANET-MG] Consilience Enhances Resilience
To: sanet-mg@googlegroups.com

SANET Compatriots -
FYI, A LINK from *Mother Earth News*. ~ Steven M.

"While preparing a talk for the Midwest CSA farm conference, I inevitably
encountered the word *resilience*, and soon found myself musing about its
relation to a word with a similar sound: *consilience*.

Resilience is about the strength and flexibility that allow people and
systems to endure shocks or adversity and yet still be able to re-organize
to keep functioning. Consilience describes linking together principles from
different disciplines, especially when forming a comprehensive theory or
system. It’s a convergence of independent insights and capacities.

In realms such as science, history, and computer networks, consilience has
been appreciated for some time. But the concept is fitting as well for the
systems we use to bring forth our essential food, wood and fiber from the
land, and the need to enhance their resilience.

As I considered the meaning of the two words it struck me that both
nationally and globally, Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA) continues to
emerge as a key organizational pathway for communities of all sizes and
descriptions to express the multiple elements characteristic of consilience
and thereby to enhance resilience."

*THE REST:*
http://www.motherearthnews.com/nature-and-environment/consilience-enhances-resilience-csa-zbcz1512.aspx

Steven McFadden

*Chiron Communications
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.chiron-communications.com>*

<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fr1.wisestamp.com%2Fr%2Flanding%3Fu%3Dafa0a4250c4ca423%26v%3D3.13.31.1-signed%26t%3D1450279582991%26promo%3D10%26dest%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wisestamp.com%252Femail-install%253Futm_source%253Dextension%2526utm_medium%253Demail%2526utm_campaign%253Dpromo_10>

--
Your use of this list constitutes agreement to abide by the SANET Terms of
Use at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sanet-mg/OuearvWaHXo/sfD_lIdsCwAJ.

To learn about digest mode or other settings visit
https://support.google.com/groups/answer/1047839?hl=en.
---
"SANET-MG" group.
email to sanet-mg+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.