permaculture - Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] space for food self reliance?
  • Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:54:09 +0100

Thank you John, Bob, Lawrence!
So far I see similarities and differences in views.

4000 square feet = (roughly) 400 sq meters/adult - which is about the figure
I have been reading before as the lower limit. this adds up to 10 vegan
adults per acre - so there is a fairly close connection to '5 or 6 people on
an acre' because there are goats and eggs included.

Since I have experienced, how much food can come out of a tiny garden of
literally a few square meters, if right next to the house and very closely
tended and monitored, I trust we can do better than that. 1000 sqm (= approx
10.000 sq feet) of greenhouse, part of it as an aquaponics system - I think
would dare to take on 20 people per acre, maybe 30.

However, 160 people on an acre is quite a different game alltogether. I mean,
for startes we will not see problems with importing e.g. grain (from a local
biofarm), and we can slowly intensify as we grow in experience. And in case
TSHTF we can always dig up the recreational lawns, etc.

Another issue is, that the way we are planning it now, electricity should be
available - all our roofs (we are talking about 35.000 sq feet) will be
dedicated to PV, maybe some hot water. For heating our tech guy talks about
deep pipes and heat with earth warmth - and we are going to have minimum
energy houses (3 big appartment buildings plus sheds’n’shops) anyways. With
energy and water and manpower (read: attention, love and care) available, I
would suspect to being able to go lower on land.

But more educated opinions would be appreciated.

Georg