permaculture - Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on gmo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permagriculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permagriculture] Plant lists for the tropics + comment on gmo
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 19:52:05 +0200

The main
> thing being the assumption that permaculture *should* be trying to measure
> up with large scale ag, as if large scale ag is at an appropriate scale to
> begin with (in my opinion it's not),

Hurray, I am all behind this statement. Large scale ag is sick. Using big
machinery as an intermediary between the farmer and the land is sick. To use
a lot of creativity in order to help lagre scale ag to avoid huge
monocroppings is a symptom fixing approach, not a design approach. A society
where only a few % of the people are in a productive personal
inter-relationship with the soil and the landscape is sick and doomed, IMHO.

That reminds me - have I missed something? Why is this list called
'permagriculture'? Can’t remember having signed up for this. Is this the
'basket of ag techniques' that someone has mentioned, as opposed to a design
approach?

Curious,
Georg