permaculture - Re: [permaculture] American Permaculture Association Standards Board?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] American Permaculture Association Standards Board?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:24:30 -0600

My take on this situation is the problem is the solution. The course Scott
and I just ended had two people in it that, in their own words, "got ripped
off" by he who shall not be named. Ultimately, these groups that cast a big
net on the internet are just drumming up interest for permaculture. Some
who encounter them will be happy to stay in the shallow end of the pool
growing zucchini's from their ears or whatever new "permaculture" technique
is all the rage. And, some will see something deeper past the breakers, and
ever curious, may swim out to see what it's like. I try to serve those
craving the depths. You may have to swim to get to me, but no risk no
reward. These big internet presences are just funneling more people into
the depths.

You could look at something like yoga for a parallel. Every ymca and rec
center has yoga classes, but you can be sure they aren't reciting the
upanishads and whatever else it is that real yogis do. Inevitably some
percentage of people who get exposed to yoga that way decide to crave the
depths and find a teacher that can offer them that. The same is true with
permaculture.

Jason