permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Larry / George / The Extinction of Fruits and Vegetables in 80 Years

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Georg Parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Larry / George / The Extinction of Fruits and Vegetables in 80 Years
  • Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 09:03:13 +0200

My late father, a geologist by profesion, used to refer to mankind as an
index fossil. I personally don’t see mankind’s extintion anywhere near. I do
see the real chance for a drastic decline and destruction - however, being
affine to deep ecology I also see a real chance for unprecedented and
currently hardly imaginable breakthrough. I mean, imagine, after having
graciously floated in the perfect surroundings of a womb for all your life,
fed and cared for, you didn’t even have to breathe, then things got uptight a
bit, leaving you with less wiggle space but it was still alright and felt
very secure in it’s tightness - and then all of a sudden you find yourself in
a life-or-death struggle, your safe surroundigs seem to try to kill you,
blood all over, no oxygen, panicking and otherwise alarming emotions flooding
in from the ourside. Hard to believe that all this is part of the plan,
everything is gonna be allright, and life will be great and full of
possibilities that you cannot even think of as of yet. I trust in life, and
mankind is in my eye just a expression of life, never separate even if it
itself believes so. Or in other words: I do not think we have to save the
world, but we do have to (continoue to) follow our hearts and live out our
best intentions to the best of our abilities - but anxiety doesn’t help,
neither does enemy-mindedness.
Some encouraging biology-philosophy can be "Spontaneous evolution" by Bruce
Lipton
and a very practical guide to implement social change: "Reinventing
organisations" by Fredric Laloux (this is downloadable on a pay-as-you-like
base)

Georg