permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead to more productive plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead to more productive plants
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:02:23 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 6:51 PM
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead
to more productive plants
To: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:06 PM, Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org> wrote:

> Not officially in school, just hanging around a lab until I can start

That would be a dream situation for many people; you are fortunate.

> a masters. I'm planning on doing research with symbiotic fungi like
> mycorrhizae (and all their friends), looking at how they affect the
> community and how environment affects the symbiosis.
>
> Fantastic! That should be a lifetime of work though I am sure that
research should lead to other fields of study that you might want to pursue.
In my information collection on and off line I have references to red
clover, when planted in an area already colonized by various fungi,
produces a substance that
stimulates mycorrhizal fungi to mine even more minerals to make available
for uptake by plants. Some researchers thought about the idea of building a
system that would produce this substance in marketable quantities. I have a
small collection of discussion forum posts, mostly sanet-mg, about this.
ARS : Brendan A Niemira
<http://www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/people/people.htm?personid=43393>
www.ars.usda.gov/pandp/.../people.htm?...
Agricultural Research Service
Brendan A Niemira | | *brendan*.*niemira*@ars.usda.gov | Research Leader.

This person posted the first reference to this phenomenon and I think it
was in some Usenet newsgroup or possibly sanet. I have posted the whole
thread to this list at least once. Have you heard about this?

LL

--
Ello: https://ello.co/ecoponderosa <https://ello.co/ecoponderosa>
Twitter: @ecoponderosa <https://twitter.com/ecoponderosa>