permaculture - [permaculture] Fwd: Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead to more productive plants

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Fwd: Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead to more productive plants
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 21:01:44 -0500

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Breeding plants in diverse communities may lead
to more productive plants
To: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org> wrote:

> That's really interesting about the clover, I'll have to read more
> about it. The fungus I'm looking at doing my masters work with is an
> endophyte that might by mycorrhiza-like, but the interesting thing is
> it's also saprotrophic so it can be more easily cultured than most
> mycorrhizae (because you need a host to grow mycorrhizae). It has the
> potential to be more useful as a crop inoculant than mycorrhizae, but
> there questions about what conditions it'd be helpful. (Mycorrhizae
> kind of act like parasites if you have a super fertilized conventional
> crop because the plant doesn't need any help.) The lab I'm in is more
> ecology focused, trying to figure out its role in its natural
> ecosystem, but you need to have an idea of that to know to apply it to
> agriculture.
>
> It's actually not hard to convince a lab to let you give them free
> labor.... :)

That is cool! its the way things should be. The other fungal crop
innoculant sounds very interesting.
Has there ever been any research on it in boosting field crop or forestry
production and also enhance regenerative capabilities of plants
in their given ecological niche?

Do an experiment with your fungus in an intercropped raised bed (with
minimal supplemental nutrient amendments), with soil OM content favorable
for
colonization of your fungus, planted with red clover and some target crop
plant that would benefit from the mycorrhizal fungi (oak or pine seedlings
or something else).
Do one bed with your fungus and one without then measure vitality and size
(and root mass) of the target plants.
Do a two more test plots with/without your fungus where the soil has been
heavily amended with a variety of rock powders (some from quarries,
azomite, aragonite for non calciphobes, greensand and rock and colloidal
phosphate.
You should get a variety of useful results from this not the least of which
is the value of soil remineralization.

LL

Ello: https://ello.co/ecoponderosa <https://ello.co/ecoponderosa>
Twitter: @ecoponderosa <https://twitter.com/ecoponderosa>