permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 12:04:30 -0700

On Aug 9, 2014, at 5:02 PM, Koreen Brennan via permaculture
<permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org> wrote:

> I'd like to interject that it sounds like there is an assumption that there
> is a problem with this event. None of the organizers is complaining about
> not being paid. We plan to put on a fantastic, blow your socks off event.
> So what problem are we trying to solve, exactly?

This thread got started--and I know it's hard to remember with all that's
been said--by my reply to Skeeter's post in which he asked us to imagine how
much tickets would cost if they paid people for their work (and my
frustration at how little it would actually be!). One of the other organizers
had made a similar remark to me privately. I took that as an indication that
more than one presenter was not happy about not being paid for working at
their profession.

There were also statements about the organizers feeling overwhelmed and not
having time or help to do things that could have added to the event. So we
were working on how to develop more resources for them, and not necessarily
money.

It sounds like the organizers would like more sign-ups, so that's part of it.
(BTW, many of my Canadian friends tell me they heard nothing about this
event).

Also, I have heard from some permies who live more middle-class lives that
they are not going because they were put off by the camping and the
probability that they would be asked to hold hands in a circle and sing.

(relevant story: When I was doing a workshop in Minnesota years ago (where
NAPC will be held), I joked to the class that if we were in Northern
California, I would now ask them to hold hands, but instead would just ask
that they stand near their group-mates. Someone said, "Here in Minnesota, we
don't even like to stand near other people." When in Rome . . . let's
remember local culture.)

So those seemed like "problems" worth solving. And then there were the whole
"scarcity in permaculture" and "free is not sustainable" pieces as larger
issues triggering all this that go beyond NAPC. Those REALLY seem like
problems worth solving, because they are huge limitations.

That we are tackling both site-specific and larger issues that are now
constantly cropping up for us is, I think, why this has been such a great
thread.

For a first-time event, I think the organizers have done a very good job. And
there is always room for improvement, and room for gleaning knowledge from
the collective mind, especially from other people who have (also) put on lots
of events.

Given the resources made available (especially in the form of talented
people), I am sure that NAPC will be a terrific event--or else I wouldn't be
going.

And now, having fired off a spate of quick emails, I will return to my first
real vacation in ages, at awe-inspiring Yosemite.

Toby