permaculture - Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] NAPC: Scarcity?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2014 17:02:51 -0700

I'd like to interject that it sounds like there is an assumption that there
is a problem with this event. None of the organizers is complaining about not
being paid. We plan to put on a fantastic, blow your socks off event. So what
problem are we trying to solve, exactly?  For future events, we have already
discussed implementing various other sources of income and there are many
potentials that have not been named yet.

Because the event is in less than three weeks, I would say that any
discussion at this point is purely theoretical, except for one - how can we
get more people to this event so that they can experience all that will be
happening? Sufficient attendance to this event may even allow us to be paid
something for our efforts.  :-)  But to be honest, I'm more concerned about
the right people being there than the numbers, this time around, and it looks
like many of them are coming.

So, how could we all leverage our networks to get more people to the event?
One bottleneck frankly for us has been marketing - we expected more help from
the local networks than we received. We nonetheless expect some good numbers
to come to this event. We have one more week of the early bird special and it
seems like a good time for everybody to let their networks know about the
event.

I am hoping we can focus on making this event as memorable and as relevant as
we can, and get all the right people to it. Frankly, I am personally a lot
more concerned with the quality of what we accomplish there, than whether I
get paid at this point. Because that is a yield that will affect me and many
others for years to come, not just next month's rent payment.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
northamericanpermaculture.org

On Saturday, August 9, 2014 10:01 AM, Toby Hemenway
<toby@patternliteracy.com> wrote:

On Aug 9, 2014, at 4:51 AM, Wesley Roe and Santa Barbara Permaculture Network
<lakinroe@silcom.com> wrote:

> Would you be willing to put $100-$500 in a pot for the next NAPC
> convergence to fund organizing positions and campaign at the NAPC event to
> get this money

This is a good idea--although we've identified permie pocketbooks as a
limiting resource. But, sure. And membership dues or similar are all
possibilities. Makes ya wonder how the Oddfellows and Masons get such
gorgeous meeting halls in nearly every town.

Here's a relevant story: I'm teaching a 9-month Eco-landscaper training with
brilliant local designer Erik Ohlsen and others. We have an outdoor classroom
that has needs improvement, so we gave the course participants the task of
designing a better classroom. Erik gave them $2000 as a budget for the room.
During the multi-group design charette, one of the students said, "Why don't
take that $2000, hire a fund-raise with it, and have them raise $50,000 for a
really good classroom?"

A beautiful leap to a higher design level.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com

Google message archive search:
http://www.ipermie.net
https://plus.google.com/+Avantgeared
Permaculture: -- portal to an expanding global network of landtech pioneers
-- who are designing ecological land use systems with integrated elements for
synergy, sustainability, regeneration and enhanced nature-compatible human
habitat
>From jasongerhardt@gmail.com Sat Aug 9 23:47:46 2014
h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to:content-type;
bh=Eq1MkQmR5H6aA9JpewbMGTAQeSYGU/AwWQoelit9bAQ=;
b=oOgLkeJ0WXhof54fAwuw+DrJI4Ok8P0/crxKWcn7lolxMXG7DE60XTsA79Qmo6aUX3
d+nQ3xy2FLbYYr+BHYvFviWt1aw0/fFXG3DlJL69sZ6Ktl5lSgSHRfFUbVW0EfBiSEwP
quHEjuCdPFqkv7lpyMd+dzqI5UOjy86Xa5yA6/UKquZCEZ1CITxQD56uUxkTnBhnrCDi
KK97A/Dw+kefjiVoB2FGoAZyTdc/6Zt8hTl7LGW+7y9XvBgCjlwAK3NuYcEgU1+TGqPI
ESONUTaohWMHyWlzfzXi7PMnhlbgmipGy/PaOn/FLd3iv+fjkfbWPa+XSAbK2Aw9k0wr
3vDA=X-Received: by 10.182.102.97 with SMTP id
fn1mr40755018obb.29.1407642465813;
Sat, 09 Aug 2014 20:47:45 -0700 (PDT)