permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture: Closing the loops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Koreen Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Market Gardening is NOT Permaculture: Closing the loops
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 09:19:08 -0800 (PST)

So very true! There is theory and then there is practical application.  And
there is backyard scale and there are community, city and regional scales and
the solutions are not always the same for different echelons. I don't think
that any one person can or should say what "the permaculture message" is.
Permaculture principles need to be applied to every human system and there
are many potential messages depending on the circumstance being addressed.

As long as people eat, there will be market gardens. Food markets and trade
are as old as civilization. Not everybody is going to grow their own food.
Even dedicated food forest nuts (like me) still go to market and buy stuff.
Some people are more focused on the built environment, financial
permaculture, social permaculture, etc, and I'm glad there are market
gardeners around to feed them so they can focus on their work. So we, as
designers, need to be clever and address  energy leaks/pollution, etc in the
market gardening system (which means transport among other things - not a
problem that is exclusive to market gardening by any means) by using good
design. Whether or not inputs come from outside the system is not the
question (as you point out). How damaging was the extraction, processing and
transport? What is the lifecycle of the input? And what are the edges of the
system anyway? My property line? !? That is pretty arbitrary from an
ecosystems viewpoint!  It's not interrelationship that is the problem in our
culture - it is the WAY those interrelationships occur.

People will continue to use markets, so what are the optimum designs for any
particular market?  How can we produce food for market in a fully
regenerative/sustainable fashion? And how do we scale that up to millions and
billions of people? (not talking about one size fits all, but designing from
pattern to detail). What are the megapatterns and trends and how does that
impact local design? It's one thing to have a food forest in your backyard,
but how many people live in your city? How many live in apartments?

I personally am wondering why the heck we're spending any time arguing about
food growing, which overall, we are doing better at than we are in some of
the other sectors (built environment, energy, finance, etc). As a movement,
we are seriously weak in solutions for energy use on any kind of scale, for
instance. Rome is burning!

In spite of this, all of us are doing significantly more things right than
wrong especially when compared to most people out there. We are all way ahead
of the pack as far as engaging in regenerative activities. It's always an
option to look at what each of us is doing right and acknowledge and
strengthen that. We need a diversity of solutions and we need to be linked in
to those solutions to get the real benefit of diversity. For those who
haven't tried to grow food or plants commercially, it's an interesting
activity with its own unique problems and solutions that are very different
than the problems that come up in backyard gardening, and to address those
problems, the design must be different than it is for a backyard garden.  The
knowledge and views of professionals from other fields who have an
understanding of the issues they need to address and want to use permaculture
principles to do so, is in my mind essential to turning the scene on
this planet around at any kind of meaningful pace.

For me "The" permaculture message is this: Permaculture is a design
methodology based on a powerful set of ethics, principles and tools that can
be applied to any human activity or system at any scale to rebuild damaged
ecosystems, and eliminate destructive use of limited resources and pollution,
thus providing a means to live sustainably. Permaculture designers can also
address waste and misuse of human resources and economic energy. We do this
through observation of and cooperation with natural systems energy, and by
designing from a systems viewpoint. (Food forests are one of hundreds of
things that permaculture tools can be used for, toward the results, above).
Permaculture can achieve those things to the degree the design problem is
fully faced and understood, and those tools are thoroughly applied. Not an
easy task!

Koreen Brennan

Urban Permaculture Design Course Tampa Bay - Feb 22 - May 18, 2014
www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow

Koreen Brennan

Urban Permaculture Design Course Tampa Bay - Feb 22 - May 18, 2014
www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 10:10 PM, Jason Gerhardt