permaculture - Re: [permaculture] The weakening of Permaculture.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Daniel Jager <dfjager@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: dfjager@yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] The weakening of Permaculture.
  • Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:28:29 +0700

A few points...

1) Anything we do, have ever done, or will ever be able to do, is already existing in Nature. The only problem is that we think ourselves clever and smart and wish to apply a 'natural' process at our whim. Using natural processes in a different field of space and/or time than Nature intended, aka technology, is ultimately a recipe for disaster.

* The heat and radiation of nuclear decay is natural... Deep inside the planet. where it should stay.
* A geyser like Old Faithful is natural... But a planet covered with steam engines???
* A stream-lake-forest system is natural... A few plastic tanks, trying to mimic this on a small and very dense scale...aka aquaponics ???

The process used by any 'technology', is natural. Application of technology, however, is too focused, too strong, too out of place.

Everything already is! We tend to forget that we evolved on this planet with all conditions right for our further evolution. Or if you will, we were created on this planet with everything in place for our proper living. Technology was not needed then, it is not needed now. Though it is there for us to use, if we so wish. But how often do we use technology wisely?!

'Permaculture' is just a word. There is no movement, no direction, no goal needed. There is just our natural place on the planet. We are arguing about an -ism, instead of trying to be more natural again.

2)
* Contour cropping: The only difference is scale! Go up a mountain, and you will see slowly the vegetation change, based on elevation.

* Frequency of use zoning? Look at the micro flora and fauna around an old decidious tree. Very clear zoning based on light and mulch availability. Any individual's (plant or animal) influence decreases exponentially with the distance from the individual. (This is the famous inverse square distance law: y = 1/x^2). High intensity is close around the individual unit, low intensity, low input farther away.

* Nature does NOT design?!? The only process that can gather the coins you scattered on the floor back in your purse, is conscious action of your hand. The only process that can create a painting or a piece of music, is the conscious action of an artist, directed by his or her mind.

The only thing that can bring the order of form out of the chaos of formless possibilities, is conscious thought.
As it is for your coins in your purse, so it is for building a house.
As it is for a house, so it is for a tree.
As it is for a tree, so it is for a mountain
As it is for a mountain, so it is for a planet.
As it is for a planet, so it is for a sun.
As it is for a sun, so it is for a galaxy.
That's why it is written that we are created in the image of God, for we have received the ability to apply conscious thought and create. All of Nature is designed, as are you and I. Our sorrow is that we cannot see this.

Daniel