permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Future Scenarios

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Future Scenarios
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 12:41:46 -0800

Thanks for this valuable post, Jason, and for the kind words. You've said
something here that I think is crucial:

> We have to remember that we're not promoting permaculture for the sake of
> permaculture*.* We're promoting permaculture as a way for people to
> significantly change their lives. Permaculture is not the goal, shifts in
> the way people think and act is the goal.

Amen. I think of permaculturists as the design and implementation arm of the
larger sustainability movement. We're here to implement actions, communicate
concepts, and even, if I may be so bold, to offer advice, to help achieve a
sustainable human culture. We're not here to make everyone a permaculturist
or to claim certain methods as being or not being "part of permaculture".
Permaculture is a process we use toward a much larger end, not a thing in
itself. That's why I get mildly frustrated when people talk about their
"permaculture farm" or ask me if I want to "come see my permaculture." I
can't actually see permaculture any more than I can see physics or design.

Jason also gets to why I don't care if people use the P-word or not. In many
cases, calling an activity "permaculture" is off-putting or otherwise
counterproductive when what we want is a change in behavior and mindset, not
membership in "our" movement. Indigenous people living sustainably are not
permaculturists (I doubt if they are doing zone analysis and teaching the
general core model). They're just people living sustainably, and that's the
goal.

And this gets to the heart of why I don't like to see permaculture described
as a "movement." In true social movements such as civil or women's rights, or
anti-war, the goal is to achieve exactly what the movement's name states:
gaining enforceable rights for a group, or ending a war. But the goal of
permaculturists, I hope, is not to get everyone to become "copyrighted"
capital P Permaculturists with a PDC certificate on the wall, let alone to
pass legislation enforcing permaculture design to be applied everywhere. The
goal is to bring people around to a whole-systems paradigm so that humans
will meet their needs in an ecologically sound way. When civil rights
legislation was passed and enforced, the civil rights movement of that era
disappeared and most of the activists turned to other things. When a war
ends, that anti-war movement dissipates. And when we are all living
sustainably, the "sustainability movement" will disappear. A movement is just
that: movement of people toward a behavior, and that movement stops when the
behavior becomes the norm. But when permaculture is part of society's
mindset, the activities known as permaculture design won't end the way the
actions of the civil rights movement did. We won't turn to other things.
We'll keep on designing and teaching the design system, and we'll still call
it permaculture.

As Larry Santoyo says, some day we will be embarrassed that we had to hold
classes in something that is so elementary and obvious.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com