permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Future Scenarios

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Future Scenarios
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 11:57:09 -0600

Toby's "rant" is wonderful!

I think there are two different ways of viewing/teaching permaculture out
there, one is as a series of techniques, and the other is as an in-depth
design process. I would just like to add to the conversation that viewing
and teaching permaculture as a design process actually changes peoples
lives.

The techniques focus leads to the all too common student overwhelm of
information (and subsequent disappointment when they find that certain
techniques are totally inappropriate for their site, climate, or whatever).
For example, I could care less if my students can dig a swale after
finishing a PDC with me if they can't properly site a swale (insert any
technique).

The real revolution of permaculture is in changing peoples lives, and when
people learn to think critically, think in systems, and think about
everything through a lens of the permaculture ethics and principles then
they become fundamentally different and changed people. For the better. We
have to remember that we're not promoting permaculture for the sake of
permaculture*.* We're promoting permaculture as a way for people to
significantly change their lives. Permaculture is not the goal, shifts in
the way people think and act is the goal.

One could also say that techniques are easy to sell, whereas processes are
far more difficult to close the deal on. This addresses the perennial
threads of upholding standards and avoiding the commodification of
permaculture. Those of us who think permaculture standards and profiteering
are important issues can best start by talking about permaculture as a
design process, and by practicing that design process enough to where it
fundamentally changes how we see, feel, think, and act.

At best, techniques are fads particular to a place, time, and people.
Design processes are what will actually lead to a more permanent culture.

Humbly suggested,

Jason Gerhardt

--

PO Box 4355