permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 10:14:01 -0500

I finished the book yesterday, the second half was better than the first. Ultimately, however, they are depending on the same "pie in the sky" that all the rest of us are depending upon -- the growth of a movement big enough to make a difference. The book is a masterpiece of deductive logic, which is odd, as it seems to me that deductive logic is associated mostly with patriarchy, which they abhor and oppose. A = A, and B = A, then if C=B, C must also = A. I like deductive logic, I've used it a lot myself, but I resist the temptation to believe that deductive logic is a completely accurate description of reality.

The book does not contain a true critique of permaculture, although the Deep Green Resistance folks think that we are the best candidates to be Sinn Fein (the above ground political/activist manifestation) to their Irish Republican Army (the "underground action" wing).

The redeeming aspect of the 2nd half is a discussion of strategy, which is interesting and can be applied on many levels without going as far as they would like to go. We don't ever actually talk much about strategy per se, mostly because I think our strategy is that of the rhizome and the stolon.

The second redemptive aspect of the book is that it is a reasonably stirring called to action and it also increases the visibility of the need for resistance. The ecological concepts of constancy (systemic ability to support itself), persistence (systemic ability to defend itself), and resilience (systemic ability to restore itself after damage) are all three important, and but we tend to focus on constancy and resilience, and should probably start paying more attention to the resistance aspects of persistence.

As to "pie in the sky" as a strategy, as noted above, all of us in opposition to the powers that be are relying on this, as we attempt to provoke and await some kind of great breakout of change in a positive direction. The authors of DGR deplore that as wishful thinking, and seem somewhat blind to their own reliance on that same emotion, but I see it as realistic. The world is complex and chaotic and small efforts can have large impacts, for good or for ill. So we know what we know, and we don't know what we don't know, and all points in between.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle

P.S. They deny advocacy of die-off, but they point out that die-off is
coming, whether they do anything or not.