permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 22:47:36 -0500

I bought the book and am about half way through it. The word "permaculture" has only appeared once, but what followed thereafter was nothing like anything I've ever read in the Design Manual or heard people talking about around here. Maybe they get into more of a critique later in the book, but from what I've read thus far, there's no evidence of much info about permaculture. The entire first half have been almost totally dedicated to piling up the evidence that every other possible way of dealing with the present situation is inadequate, inane, stupid, narcisistic, counter-productive, or some combination. It is really heavy on the psychology.

My impression is that they want us to start blowing up power generation stations, oil wells, and etc. in order to set a "quick crash" in motion that will inevitably kill of a large portion of the population. This they seem to think is the only chance the biosphere has. Boy I bet the NSA surveillance system will like THIS email, lol.

I have thought a lot about what would happen if we did experience a quick crash, and everything I can see points to that event being as catastrophic for the planet as it would be for the human species. If we go down catastrophically, we are likely to take the biosphere down with us much more thoroughly than we are doing now. Nukes, followed by a nuclear winter, for example.

I get the need to resist, I chained myself to a Keystone Pipeline construction site earlier in May and was arrested as part of the Great Plains Tar Sands Resistance campaign against the pipeline and the Albertan tar sands ecocide. But identifying resistance with destruction of the energy production and distribution infrastructure and thus triggering Dieoff seems more like suicide than resistance.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle