permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bob Waldrop <bob@bobwaldrop.net>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture recommendation for Deep Green Resistance
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 23:55:41 -0500

Cuba is often touted as a permaculture success story, the DGR book has some interesting contrarian figures that perhaps those with more knowledge of what actually happened in Cuba during the "special period" could maybe comment on.

+ The per capita diet for most people dropped to about 1,850 calories/day.
+ For children and the elderly, 1,450 calories/day.
+ Protein dropped by 40%, to 15-20 grams/day (less than an ounce).
+ Dietary fat dropped by 64%.
+ Vitamin A by 67%.
+ 50,000 Cubans were afflicted with a mysterious malady, a team of physicians from the Pan American Health Organization diagnosed it as "neuropathy due to spare diet with great physical exertion".
+ The basic ration was rice, sugar, potatoes, beans, 12 eggs a month, every 15 days 1/2 pound of beef mixed with soy or 1 pound of chicken, children got some milk.
+ The direct maternal mortality increased by 60%.
+ The mortality rate of the elderly increased by 20%.

The book has footnotes for these statistics, I am not qualified to comment on them.

Actually, I am not surprised that the more frail members of the population died, and that pregnant women were particularly impacted. Cuba went through an almost complete decline in fossil fuel availability, the miracle is that more people did not die, and more people were not crippled by malnutrition.

I am sure more "normal" relationships with the United States would have reduced the impact of this or in fact ameliorated it entirely. Yet, I am not sure what normal relationships with the United States really offers the Cuban people. Will they be better off with US corporations setting up shop, dismantling the Cuban health care system in favor of a US style system, flooding their markets with cheap schlock and driving the locals out of business in favor of franchises imported from the United States. Will opening their markets to Twinkies, Rice Chex, and frozen meat-like substances really be the answer to malnutrition? Part of me wishes I could go to the international meeting there, to see the situation on the ground, but that is waaay too far for me to travel even if I could afford it which I can't, lol.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City
http://www.ipermie.net -- How to permaculture your urban lifestyle