permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 15:57:26 -0400

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM, carolyn anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in a community garden
> plot that is covered in unidentified BIG weeds and old, seeded grass?
> Should I put the pulled weeds back down, then cover with 4" of mulch and
> then cover that with a weed cloth and just plant over them, or get rid of
> them, or what? Would no-till work here?
>
> Mulch is provided, weeds are plentiful, soil is ok once it's unlocked but
> hard as a rock right now. I'm in Northern VA where the soil tends towards
> clay, but this plot has been cultivated in the past so is not too bad. I'm
> well aware that I'm late to the game, having just discovered this community
> garden last week. Can I still use permaculture practices in this
> situation? I'll only be here through the summer before moving to more
> permanent digs.

Bring in the mulch. If it is not composted then compost it before applying
to the garden
then dig it in and mix it with the soil. Alternative: prepare your garden's
raised beds or rows then mulch with the materials supplied.
Take the weeds, grass, brown mystery weeds and place then in mini-windrows
between your raised beds or rows. You can put more mulch on top of them.
Later as any seeds in the now composted weeds germinate, dislodge and bury
them. When there are no more weed sprouts then mix the compost with the
soil in your raised beds. Put the next batch of pulled weeds in piles
between your beds, apply more mulch repeat the process. Soil, nutrient rich
water, macro and micro nutrients leaching or washing out of your beds will
saturate the compost between them, enriching it so you can return
everything to your garden soil. This is a much better way of recycling weed
biomass and the nutrients it contains than composting it in a separate pile
away from the garden, unless, of course, the leachate flows into other
garden beds, planted swales or bermed zones.

LL