permaculture - [permaculture] Question about getting started

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: carolyn anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Question about getting started
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 14:54:14 -0400

Hi all,

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting started in a community garden
plot that is covered in unidentified BIG weeds and old, seeded grass?
Should I put the pulled weeds back down, then cover with 4" of mulch and
then cover that with a weed cloth and just plant over them, or get rid of
them, or what? Would no-till work here?

Mulch is provided, weeds are plentiful, soil is ok once it's unlocked but
hard as a rock right now. I'm in Northern VA where the soil tends towards
clay, but this plot has been cultivated in the past so is not too bad. I'm
well aware that I'm late to the game, having just discovered this community
garden last week. Can I still use permaculture practices in this
situation? I'll only be here through the summer before moving to more
permanent digs.

Any help you can provide will be deeply appreciated. I'm half way through
the weed pulling and want to get things into the ground asap.

Thanks for your help.
Carolyn