permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question about getting started
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 18:48:34 -0400

On Sun, May 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM, carolyn anderson <cschampagne@gmail.com>wrote:

> I can make raised beds without the wood frames, I hope, since I'm doing
> this on a budget.

Do not use wood frames for raised beds, only dirt, mounded up, much better.

> So, do I want to use the weed block cloth I bought? I see it everywhere in

No, that is the wrong approach to gardening. You should use use biological
weed control using mulch, manual weeding, allelopathy and cover crops
(including more weeds, perhaps more controllable ones).

the the various gardens, even those with the wood framed raised beds. The
> management is very strict about keeping the weeds down (I guess to prevent
> seeds from contaminating other people's gardens).

Just keep them cut down or pulled or covered with mulch and be sure not to
let them go to seed.

LL