permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Natural hydroponics, aquatic foodweb & quality food

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: georg parlow <g.parlow@gmx.at>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Natural hydroponics, aquatic foodweb & quality food
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 18:16:30 +0200

Thank you for taking the time t find that. Aquaponics is NOT hydroponics. It bothers me when people confuse them and then make statements based on lack of understanding.

IMHO aquaponics are strictly speaking a sub-category of hydroponics. Nowadays there are even more evolved versions around, where pleople add EM & Co, urin and other goodies to the fishwater - systems which have no commonly agreed on name. Some call it bioponics, some permacultural aquaponics, etc. - all this is normal and to be ecpected in such a new and growing field. In a smartly designed system the only external input (besides sunlight, warmth water) is the fishfood. If we feed the fish on refuse (leftovers from oilpressing, kitchenscraps, larvae and worms grown on compost, etc), use land that is difficult to use in any other way (contaminated, concrete, rooftops, etc), and produce right in the neighbourhood where the food will be consumed, I do not understand why this is not part of PC. Or, to put it in a more accurate way, if this is not part of PC, PC has outlived itself and I am not part of it any more either.

Steve was talking about PDC - and raised the question 'what if the pump fails?': well, in my PDC I have learned that important functions have to be covered in 2 or more ways. So, if my pump is so important, and relies on electricity (which is not necessarily so, my limited alternative energy knowledge tells me), I just need a backup for my solar panel ;)

As for the aspects of taste of produce and the life-web that supports it's development, I think Toby's article covered that.

Best!
Georg