permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Homemade mosquito repellant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Alia Tsang <alia@dietrick.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Homemade mosquito repellant
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 11:56:12 -0700

Catnip is reportedly more effective at repelling mosquitoes than DEET, you
can throw some of that in there while you're at it.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/08/010828075659.htm

Essential oils are incredibly energy intensive to extract, though. I wonder
if you'd get the same effect if you tinctured those herbs in high proof
alcohol instead. Maybe with some lemon peels instead of using lemon juice.
It'd probably keep longer, too.

Fun fact: vanilla (and almond) extracts can also be used to attract thrips.