permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FW: Dave Jacke - This just in from Facebook: Johnny's selling Monsanto seeds!?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jason Gerhardt <jasongerhardt@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FW: Dave Jacke - This just in from Facebook: Johnny's selling Monsanto seeds!?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 19:03:12 -0700

It all depends on your storage conditions. In arid climates seeds can store
for way longer than shelf life printed on packets, which by the way is
usually pretty much a gimmick to sell more seeds. I have germinated 15 year
old seed at 98-100% here in Colorado.

Humid climates don't store seed as well. I highly recommend putting seed in
paper envelopes rather than glass jars or plastic bags. They will keep far
longer since the seed can breathe, especially in humid climes. Cool, dry,
dark, and sealed conditions are what is required for good seed storage.
Find the right microclimate that best represents those conditions wherever
you live. And pay special attention to sealed! Mice, rats, squirrels and
rodents of all kinds will quickly ruin your future crop.

--
Jason Gerhardt
Designer and Educator

I recently read a tomato expert saying that, if stored well (dry and not
too warm), tomato seeds stay viable for at least 10 years. And I've heard
of people reviving much older seed, with special care.