permaculture - Re: [permaculture] FW: Dave Jacke - This just in from Facebook: Johnny's selling Monsanto seeds!?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] FW: Dave Jacke - This just in from Facebook: Johnny's selling Monsanto seeds!?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 00:54:58 -0000

With "special care" they probably mean "vernalisation" which simply means putting old seeds in the freezer for a few days or longer before the germination process is started.
Here in Ireland we very rarely drop below 75% relative air humidity. So it is not always possible to dry seeds as well as would be ideal.
John

I recently read a tomato expert saying that, if stored well (dry and not
too warm), tomato seeds stay viable for at least 10 years. And I've heard
of people reviving much older seed, with special care.