permaculture - [permaculture] Interesting

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Interesting
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:02:15 -0800 (PST)

http://inhabitat.com/new-urban-algae-system-generates-energy-while-cleaning-sewage-water-in-paris/

http://inhabitat.com/live-share-grow-vertical-farm-could-produce-10-of-san-diegos-produce/vertical-farm-in-san-diego-brandon-martella-2/?extend=1

According to the FDA, the average American alone consumes 707.7lbs of fruits
and vegetables each year and the residents of San Diego consume 21,310,000 lb
a year. Martella’s tower would provide enough space to group about 532,000
lbs of produce every 3 months. This is approximately 10% of the produce the
city consumes – a sizable portion of the city’s needs and produced in a
sustainable and local facility. The produce sold through the open air market
would contribute towards the local economy serving residents and restaurants
a like, while providing jobs to local residents, even residents that live
inside the tower.

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow