permaculture - [permaculture] New article on permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] New article on permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:53:09 -0800

Some of what rafter had posted on his website recently made me do some more
thinking about why permaculture is so hard to define. It resulted in a new
article at my website,

http://www.patternliteracy.com/668-what-permaculture-isnt-and-is

To sum it up: For millennia humans just focused on meeting their needs,
without needing to care about the consequences. Now we have to consider how
to meet our needs while preserving ecosystem health (thanks, rafter!). That a
huge paradigm shift. Permaculturists often mistake permaculture for that
paradigm shift. But permaculture is better thought of as the design approach
that's one the new tools needed for that paradigm shift. It's not the
movement, the philosophy, or the paradigm itself. It's an approach to solving
the problems that this new paradigm makes clear.

Hope you enjoy it.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com