permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Highest use for tires?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Highest use for tires?
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 19:54:05 -0000

As far as I remember the major problem with tires is Zink (Zn) which has been added to the rubber. Plants are quite sensitive to soils with lots of zink in it and will show that dislike by growing poorly. I have never noticed that with tires so I assume that Zn leaching is not high. Zink is not bad for humans in concentrations higher than the tires release.
However there is another problem. Even if the tire manufacturers would have wanted to put pure zink in their rubber this would have been difficult because it is nearly impossible to separate all cadmium out. Cadmium is very hard to separate from zink and that seems to even be the case in food supplement zink.
Then again, if not much zink is leaching out then the amount of cadmium would probably be minute.
I would never make soup from rubber tires but as long as the plants grown in them look good I would feel quite safe to use them. I think there are much worse dangers out there (like chemtrails maybe).
john

Hm, burdock root is an interesting idea I would not have thought of. I am trying to take a look at some of the research out there on toxicity, have not found much thus far. How long do they off gas? What do they off gas/leach? What remedies? I wish there were more waste stream experts in permaculture or at least hooked up to it. We need to be able to handle and design with this stuff in mind - it is such a huge part of our environment. We can say that they are too toxic for us, but they are here - they're going somewhere. There is no "away", so we need to do something with them, and the more we understand what our options are, the better choices we'll make. I hear you on covering them with earth, that is my predilection as well. I'm sure there are some people into this out there that I don't know about! Trying to flush them out here :-)