permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Regional, National, Continental: Conference Convergence

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Regional, National, Continental: Conference Convergence
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 16:33:25 -0700 (PDT)

A national convergence held at an Indian rez would need to be a combination
of service and conference. There will be some on the ground support but not a
huge amount as they are all pretty busy in one way or other. But from the
initial reach out and response, they would be very interested in hosting such
a conference.

I would prefer to see a conference before 2014. I think the idea of a
national conference in the years that there is no international conference is
a good idea. We could do one in early 2013 maybe, or late 2012. If we do it
in winter, the rez is out! We could have people actually freeze to death
there!  It might be best, especially if we do something only a few months
out, to do it somewhere where there is already a lot of support and
organization. I know Michael offered to host one before in the NW. If people
there feel they can get something together in that amount of time, I would be
interested. I personally think that what could be accomplished at such a
conference would be valuable enough to permaculture to make it worth the
carbon hours. I will personally plant trees and get systems in that will make
up for multiple people traveling.

I think it is important that we survey people to find out
1. who would come
2. would they come to that location
3. what would they be most interested in accomplishing? I propose to give
them some choices but also a blank area where they can fill in their own
choices.

I'd be willing to create that survey and give anybody who wants it password
access.

There are a few things a national conference could accomplish, as Michael
points out. The ones I'm most personally interested in are these:

Work out ways to give up and coming and established teachers, and the
movement itself, more support. We have omitted that from our design to some
degree. Maybe I feel the effects of that more than many of you because I live
in a section of the country that doesn't have a lot of local/regional support
(because permaculture is so new here in Florida). There is pretty much no
support, in fact :-(  We're trying to remedy that, it's a bootstrap
operation. Permaculture would expand a lot faster if we spent some time
organizing how to do that by creating support Associations, etc.

Allow people from different regions to meet each other and perhaps create
beneficial connections.

For the first conference, it may make more sense to have it in an area where
a number of experienced permaculturists live so the on the ground support is
there, as Michael suggested. That way, we could focus in on making some real
progress on things like national association structure, etc, without too many
distractions.

Those of you who are interested in the rez in general, we will be doing
spring planting of more trees at Pine Ridge next year. I would be very
grateful for the help of experienced or less experienced permies both in
planning and execution stages. The ecosystem is very different from where I
spend most of my time growing (semi-tropical), and it is a challenging
environment, both invisible structure-wise and physically. It's a great
design challenge! I am grateful for the help I got last year from some of you.

If you're interested in getting involved at the rez, there are many
opportunities. The rez could use some help in setting up food systems that
are self-sustaining. There are also various natural building projects
ongoing, and much more there that is needed and wanted.

Pine Ridge is a trend setter among reservation in many ways and many people
from other reservations travel there for various reasons. It's also one of
the worst off rezes statistically, needs the most help. There are a variety
of reasons for this, all of which are very interesting design elements.

I am easy to work with and very open to co-creation or turning over projects
to others. There is plenty of need there for multiple projects. I personally
feel cooperation is an example that can be very healing anywhere, including
Pine Ridge. I think we could really make a huge difference there pooling our
energies and co-creating.

I see so much need to create some stable food systems there, and educate
others on how to do that, for the next seven generations of Lakota Sioux.
There is so much need there for permaculture!

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition
www.meetup.com/createclearwater