permaculture - Re: [permaculture] National convergence- keep it rolling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] National convergence- keep it rolling
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 17:49:41 +0000

Lets keep the ball rolling on this one, I would love to figure this out and
come to a satisfactory compromise as to the location and format of a
convergence. I hope that the elders of the movement on this list will chime
in at some point to let us know if there are plans for this, or what!?!

Bob- when I said it is your karma what method of travel you choose, I meat
that you (individual) will be the one who has to deal with your choice.
There are many low-carbon ways to transport ourselves these days, so I don't
think this is much of an issue if this is important to you. However, I do
agree that we should design the convergence with low-carbon transport in
mind, like near a bus route or offer rideshares on a llama cart.

Koreen- Indeed we should work from zone 1 on out, zone 5 being the national
gathering. There have been many successful regional gatherings that could
instruct how to go about setting up a national. We can build on the
successes.

I was just at the Australasian Convergence in NZ (APC11) in April, and it was
a great success in my mind. For one it was held in conjunction with the
local indigenous Maori iwi (tribe) as hosts. This was very powerful, as they
have been the caretakers of the land for much longer than our group, and they
welcomed us and blessed the gathering in a powerful ceremony.

This convergence was a mix of face-to-face and web-based. As expected, the
web based part suffered from poor connectivity and hence poor quality of
interaction. The most powerful moments were those shared by folks on site,
and we had 6 break-out sessions occurring at all times (perhaps too much as I
was torn between so may good presentations). My one comment was that it was
too short- we didn't have time to do a hands-on project. Also the site
(school) was a bit restrictive with this in mind, mainly because of the
groundskeeper had to be convinced that our project was not going to take all
his time to maintain.

Koreen- I personnaly feel a reservation (Pine Ridge) could be a great place
to host a national, for one the tribes have certain sovereignty (exemption)
when it comes to actual on the ground projects that may not be allowed by
codes in incorporated areas, ie composting toilets. The other is that it
could help to heal Gaia and some deep wounds for us all- not to mentions the
obvious critical need for this kind of work in these areas. Also I think the
lack of resources and extreme climate will challenge us as designers to come
up with simple and effective solutions.

I envision a gathering happening every 2 years, like the internationals,
maybe alternating with the IPC so we can fit them all in and have only one
gathering a year to make time for. I also vision picking a site and
returning to it, so that we can add more layers of functionality to the site
year to year. This may or may not be desirable, as I imagine other folks may
want that energy of 100's of permies on their site too once it gets rolling.

There may be great advantages to having a "national association of
permaculture practitioners" for "the movement", one for us as practitioners,
and obviously the benefit of learning from each other towards the goal of
regenerating Gaia. I see the movement benefiting in a way that other
professional organizations offer benefits, like group certifications and
registration, offering accreditation for curriculums, teaching, and other
services, membership in an org that can promote our work and create working
groups, and maybe even group liability insurance (what a concept)!?! If we
model it after associations like the Contractors Association or Association
of Architects we will create more clout with the ultimate goal of getting the
big jobs that can affect real change, like regional watershed management and
regeneration projects.

PEACE in PErmACulturE
Loren Luyendyk
805-452-8249