permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nth Amerian Conference- the Middle

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jono Neiger <neiger@csld.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nth Amerian Conference- the Middle
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:21:57 -0400

Gathering with lots of like minded permies is exciting. We have just had
our 8th annual northeast regional convergence in Middleborough MA. Its a
lot of work to organize but very powerful. This event grew out of a rising
network of local groups in the northeast u.s. wanting to interconnect and
share resources and support about nine years ago. I feel strongly that the
permaculture network/movement must grow from the grassroots.

Creating a national gathering (or national organization) without growing
from strong regional networks risks the organization floating above the
grassroots, neither representing it or strongly interconnected with it.

I would ask that folks get active locally, which im sure many of you are.
And then start reaching out at the next level of organization, be it the
larger local area or maybe your region. There are so many ways to share
information, inspiration, and support before needing to create the
organization and logistical setup to host a national event. Im not against
a national event, I just feel we need to build the local and regional
connections first.

for the earth

Jono

check out one of our regional permaculture organizations:
PINE; Permaculture Institute of the Northeast
www.thepine.org

Jono Neiger
Regenerative Design Group
308 Main St, 2C
Greenfield, Ma 01301
413-658-7048
www.regenerativedesigngroup.com

Conway School
Graduate Program in Sustainable Landscape Planning & Design
www.csld.edu