permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Farming as a permaculture system. Re: [SANET-MG] yield of conventional vs organic farms

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jay Woods <woodsjay@cox.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Farming as a permaculture system. Re: [SANET-MG] yield of conventional vs organic farms
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2012 07:21:45 -0500

On Thursday, June 07, 2012 09:38:10 PM Gasper Family Farm wrote:
> Are we not facing a peak in the supply of mined phosphate? This is one of
> if not they key yield and plant health limiting nutrient; and also the
> hardest one to get outside the mine. Other than the mandatory recycling of
> phosphorus from humanure, are their any other permanent solutions for
> sourcing phosphorous for the farm (on a broad acre scale)?
>
> Pete

This is the reason for planting crops that pull nutrients such as potash and
phosphate from deep in the soil (over three feet) as one component of the
annual cropping. An alternative is the use of tree crops that mine the soil
in
the same sense. The prunings and thinnings while the leaves are still on will
compost carrying the high mineral content for use with the vegetables.