permaculture - Re: [permaculture] cash crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] cash crops
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 21:58:17 -0800 (PST)

Offhand, I would say that if you (and by "you", I mean not just you but
anyone else, me included) are experiencing a conflict between "making a
living off the land" and "permaculture", I suspect that there are some
opportunities you're overlooking to integrate permaculture design principles
into your growing practices, farm layout, etc.

A frequent design error is trying to farm on too large a scale. All too
often, this excessively large scale (of the farm or other operation) is
dictated by way-too-high overhead.

Most permaculture folk are pretty good at reducing their household and
business overhead, but there are three stubborn areas where even permies have
trouble reducing household overhead. Those are 1) mortgage; 2) children's
college tuition; 3) medical bills. Do whatever it takes to eliminate these
albatrosses (or drastically reduce them), and you will be able to downsize
your farm or other land-based enterprise to a more manageable, more human
scale and have a better chance at making a living off the land without
wearing yourself out.

In addition to cutting overhead: Don't forget to explore value-added
offerings as a means of increasing your land-based income. Don't just sell
tomatoes - make salsa. Don't just sell milk - offer ice cream in really
creative flavors using ingredients specific to your bioregion. Create a
product that your community will clamor for. Either find a demand or (by
coming up with an irresistibly delicious recipe) make one.

Also: team up with other households in your neighborhood. Share equipment;
sell off duplicate tractors etc. Sharing is a time-honored permaculture
strategy, often overlooked even by permies because our American consumerist
indoctrination encourages us to forget it. Sometimes the simplest and most
low-tech measures end up paying the largest dividends. Plain, good
ol'-fashioned sharing is a prime example.

If you're experiencing a conflict between your permaculture practice and any
other area of your site (or your life), it could be a sign that you're
overlooking opportunities to apply permaculture design principles to those
"other areas."

Jenny Nazak
Austin Permaculture Guild
www.austinperm.com
 Use permaculture design to optimize your life and "Work SMART, not hard."