permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Fukuoka and trees

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: loren luyendyk <loren@sborganics.com>
  • To: Permaculture Listserve <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fwd: Fukuoka and trees
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 05:19:23 +0000

In my experience, pruning usually leads to more pruning. Depending on the
tree's response to pruning (maybe due to the timing of the pruning, ie waxing
or waning moon), more corrective pruning may be necessary to keep the shape
desired, or to manage rampant growth (water sprouts) which may compromise
tree health and stability.

I am a fan of minimal pruning. I prune to correct crossing branches, or to
reduce the chance of branches breaking due to occlude bark or bad branch
angles. It is true that larger and higher quality fruit is the result of a
proper pruning regime.

Grafted trees definitely grow differently than seedlings. Due to their
precocious nature, they set large amounts of fruit early on in life. Also,
depending on where the scion came from on the mother tree, the graft retains
the memory. For example, if you use a laterally growing branch for a scion,
the grated tree may grow sideways. Same goes for cuttings.

I have been working on growing out fruit trees that are true to type from
seed, in my own small and slow way. I have found that many subtropical fruit
trees produce high quality fruit from seed, ie cherimoyas, loquats, rose
apples, pineapple guavas and others. We also have some local naturalized
white peaches that are great from seed. These trees all seem to have great
form naturally and do not need much pruning at all.

I think Fukuoka must have been growing seedlings, especially since he was so
zen and probably didn't deem it necessary to graft. I also like Sepp
Holzer's approach to plant seeds in the field and graft in place, and then
leave the seedling branches below the graft. I don't think he prunes much at
all either.

Loren Luyendyk
ISA Certified Arborist #WE 7805A
Permaculture Design & Education