permaculture - [permaculture] Invasive Plants revisited - comments welcome

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Invasive Plants revisited - comments welcome
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 07:02:24 -0500

I am including parts of my replies to posts about eleagnus umbellata:
<>

They are not on _my_ list (of invasive plants), nor is kudzu or sericea lespedeza. I think you'll find that much of this "invasive plant" propaganda may well be spawned by the herbicide industry and nurtured by lazy gardeners and landscapers. Herbicide use is a creeping scourge.

The worst invasives, across the globe, are GMO crops.

There's a use for them (plants with edible fruits). Instead of destroying them, harvest and eat them. Allow wildlife to use them.

It is certainly erroneous to be concerned about significant spread of eleagnus in the Piedmont Bioregion. It is too dry and for the most part has poor soil. As they spread by seed stands are slow to develop though birds and deer can help with this. They just grow too slow and have too much competition from other plants to really become invasive. Apex Nurseries sold the eleagnus varieties fruitlandi and angustifolia to landscapers. They are welcome additions to any yard, placed properly, especially if you are one who likes traditional english cottage gardens and it is ideal as part of an element in a permaculture system, aka landscape.

It is hysterical to recommend massive removal in areas where they are not a problem, which seems to be happening. I also challenge, rightfully so, claims of "invasives" _causing problems_; i.e. unwarranted trumped up charges against a plant. Often, follow the money trail to see the root cause of this. I grant no special consideration for conventional agriculture, i.e. broadacre monocrop farming; everything other than the cash crop is invasive. They need to practice natural farming. The third world will not starve w/o conventional, chemical-based or gmo agriculture, a ploy to gain control of a nation's food supply, destroying traditional farming infrastructure in the process. Again, I challenge the "causing problems" rationale to justify eradication of certain plants. To tell homeowners that they need to go out and cut down and dig up eleagnus wherever it is found is ludicrous and ridiculous. Look at the lists of invasive plants and think about how many have positive attributes and can easily be controlled with careful planning and manual labor. Less TV and more hand weeding.