permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Biochar is part of a LOCAL solution

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Biochar is part of a LOCAL solution
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:33:26 -0000

I like this but still think that charcoal burning is detrimental if we want to stop climate change. We produce 20 times more CO2 while making charcoal than we ever sequester whatever system we use. These days forest are already disappearing to make charcoal and that is madness. Stopping burning fossil fuels would be the only sure way combined with stopping deforestation. If you want to sequester carbon then plant trees and shrubs, increase biomass. (= living-mass)
That is permaculture or not?
john

http://jordforbindelse.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/biochar-is-part-of-a-local-solution/

--