permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Protein in vegetarian diet | Re: Fwd: [New post] Maintaining the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Protein in vegetarian diet | Re: Fwd: [New post] Maintaining the garden
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 21:46:40 -0500

On 11/6/2011 9:11 PM, tanya wrote:
On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 4:26 PM, Lawrence F. London, Jr.<
venaurafarm@bellsouth.net> wrote:

...Frances Moore Lappe in her book Diet For A Small Planet proposes
increasing one's protein intake from vegetarian meals through food
combining-for-maximum-protein,...

That concept has been obsolete since at least the early 80s. Though it was
introduced in the first edition of the book in the early 70s, she soon
realized that "protein combining" is a factor only in the lab, and in every
other edition since then, she has taken great care to explain why
vegetarians do not need to "combine" proteins.

I had in mind eating such foods high lysine corn + black beans + miso + rice + quinoa + sesame seeds + nut butter + collards, kale, other greens and of course plenty of carbohydrates for _more_ complete protein from vegetable sources at a meal. In this context protein combining has valid meaning for me...combining for a complete balanced array of amino acids. For some people adhering to and staying with a strict vegetarian diet is important. I agree that eating a really wide array of carefully chosen and naturally grown foods is very important.

Food combining for maximum digestion for maximum nutrition also has meaning and is a valid concept, the rules of which I constantly ignore
(I like sauteed vegetables, crushed hot red pepper, sea salt, cooked rice and plenty of brown rice vinegar and olive oil, all heated in a chef's wok). See some of the food combining charts in current and out of print literature (Kulvinskas' books, especially).

Thanks for the good feedback, Tanya.