permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Protein in vegetarian diet | Re: Fwd: [New post] Maintaining the garden

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John D'hondt" <dhondt@eircom.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Protein in vegetarian diet | Re: Fwd: [New post] Maintaining the garden
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 01:36:26 -0000

I don't appear to have written much Lawrence :) but I seem to understand that you want my input concerning a vegetarian diet?

First of all and very generally speaking, there is almost no place in the world where one can get enough vitamin B12 from a vegetarian diet. To stay healthy there is more involved than just balanced amino acids.
And it is true that some crops are severely deficient in some essential amino acids. I can think immediately of lysine that is very scarce in most all grain crops but present in pulses (beans) and nuts and green vegetables like cruciferes (cabbage and kale to name but two).
Cruciferes are very important for our sulfur intake but have a severely negative effect on our thyroid glands. And the pulses often contain unhealthy concentrations of phytates that prevent uptake of essential mineral elements.
So yes it is important that if you want to stay with a vegetarian diet that you have a wide variety from as many different plant groups as possible.

That said, I am absolutely certain that it is impossible to survive here in SW Ireland on a vegetarian diet without importing a considerable proportion of your food from milder climate zones. (not just hatcho miso paste) Much the same as you can not expect an Inuit society to go vegetarian. They would not last a week under their conditions.
For a start, we can't grow rice and almonds neither. Too cold. We saw the temperature here rize over 20 C only once this summer.
Further, I would not like to brave our rains and our lazy wind (cuts straight through you instead of going around) on a diet of rice and beans. That may be a suitable diet when you can sit all day in front of an oil fired heater (imported) but not if you have to go out in the rain and collect soaking wet fire wood in a howling wind.

Unfortunately many of the plants that grow best here and are the most nutritious have fantastic means of self defence. Thinking of nettles and thistles. Nettle soup is good and I like it but a pig will eat 50 kilos of raw nettles and thistles with gusto and trive on it.
What is easiest to grow here is grass and that is not at all suitable for a human diet but it is what ruminants are best adapted for.
As for real human crops, it is not just a matter of growing them but even more important of saving them. We lost half or more of our quinoa crop because of non stop rains at harvest time to name but one thing and many big farmers saw their complete wheat or barley crop end in the mud without any way of harvesting with big machines for they would have bogged down in the first ten yards.
Our sheep and cattle are in great condition though.

I'm sorry but I can not give pointers to online resources even when I know they exist and I have seen some of them on occasion. I read so much that I can not keep track of where I saw it.

John