permaculture - Re: [permaculture] PIGS AT WORK

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] PIGS AT WORK
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:57:08 -0700 (PDT)

We set up a pig tractor this summer at Pine Ridge reservation, and it worked
great. The pig ate all the weeds except vervain, tilled the soil, and
replanted squash seeds and curly dock for us - when we noticed that, we
started feeding her stuff we wanted planted and that worked pretty good too.
We planted cover crops where she dug, and that worked good too, tho it
started getting too hot and dry, and with no irrigation, the pioneers we
didn't want (like goathead) were coming back in so we moved her back to a
permanent pen. But I would do that again in an instant to clear a field
rather than manually doing it. She worked really fast too - in only a few
days, her pen area would be cleared. We were using her to clear a fairly
large space for a food forest, but only got a small portion of it done. What
I will do next spring if we still have access to her is put some composted
manure and straw in the pen, let her dig that in while she eats the weeds (she
doesn't leave enough manure herself in the few days it takes her to eat
stuff, though there is some), then plant cover crop and nitro fixers as soon
as we move her. It would be a relatively labor free way of turning the
compacted clay pioneer soil into food forest material...

Cory