permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 1Ned t see this: 914 Round shaped field, Wanxiu Feng, Xingyi, Guizhou.jpg photo - ticky photos at pbase.com - Sent using Google Toolbar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Neil Bertrando <neilbertrando@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 1Ned t see this: 914 Round shaped field, Wanxiu Feng, Xingyi, Guizhou.jpg photo - ticky photos at pbase.com - Sent using Google Toolbar
  • Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:07:35 -0700

I'm no expert, but here's a guess.

the "round" orientation of the fields was designed based on the
topography-water interaction, the fields enclose a basin (with "circular"
contours). If left alone, this basin would probably fill up with water and
exist as a pond system, perhaps an ox-bow from the river system (look at the
previous picture to get a visual on the river). now they have installed a
drain (the circular pipe). I would call it a drain and not an overflow due
to my assessment of the 'natural state' of the system. The drain probably
leads to an underground pipe which then flows to somewhere downhill and
downstream likely another field where it's used to grow crops.

cheers,
Neil

ps the mountainscape there is quite spectacular