permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Round shaped field, Wanxiu Feng, Xingyi, Guizhou.jpg photo - ticky photos at pbase.com - Sent using Google Toolbar

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Round shaped field, Wanxiu Feng, Xingyi, Guizhou.jpg photo - ticky photos at pbase.com - Sent using Google Toolbar
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 02:34:48 -0400

On 9/18/2011 1:07 PM, Neil Bertrando wrote:
I'm no expert, but here's a guess.

the "round" orientation of the fields was designed based on the
topography-water interaction, the fields enclose a basin (with "circular"
contours). If left alone, this basin would probably fill up with water and
exist as a pond system, perhaps an ox-bow from the river system (look at the
previous picture to get a visual on the river). now they have installed a
drain (the circular pipe). I would call it a drain and not an overflow due
to my assessment of the 'natural state' of the system. The drain probably
leads to an underground pipe which then flows to somewhere downhill and
downstream likely another field where it's used to grow crops.

Here's another semi-enclosed circular terrace farming system, this time in Madagascar. I can't see the drainage route but it is probably there as a stream exiting to the left in the pix. They are very nicely prepared fields. I like the diversity of shapes of the terraces and diverse crops planted in them; lends much character to the system.

Gilbert Jottrand | Landscapes Madagascar > Madagascar #1227
http://www.pbase.com/gilbertjottrand/image/138093313

...a few more worth looking at:

now this is really something...
http://www.pbase.com/gilbertjottrand/image/138105336

and this especially:
http://www.pbase.com/gilbertjottrand/landscapes_madagascar
Because the beds are fairly small, comparatively speaking, and so many are combined in one part of the larger field, into an integrated system, it seems this example could easily be replicated in some of our
system designs for ourselves or clients, or recommended to others.
Pretty amazing gardens. Beautiful terrain.

these terraces must be very old
http://www.pbase.com/gilbertjottrand/image/138107368

buildings in the fields
http://www.pbase.com/gilbertjottrand/image/138107596