permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Bellows,Wendi Lynn" <bellows@ufl.edu>
  • To: "permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Using Algal Mats as a Soil Amendment
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 12:51:07 -0400

Although I am unsure about species, this is a filamentous macroalgae
associated with elevated nutrient levels in Florida's spring fed rivers. We
find it in mats floating on top of the water here and use a rake to get it
out.

Your insights are appreciated!
Wendi

On 5/15/2011 8:05 PM, Bellows,Wendi Lynn wrote:
> We have literally tons of algae cleaned out of rivers here in North
> Central Florida. Algae is known to hyperconcentrate and fix nitrogen
> as well as carbon. Is there anyone out there experimenting with using
> algal mats as a soil amendment. We just began sun drying it and using
> it in our gardens with amazing results and I am curious if there are
> any other folks who have experimented or know of any research on the
> subject. Thank you, Wendi Bellows

Does it hyperaccumulate anything toxic or heavy metals or pesticide
residues? I assume it is green algae and not some toxic variety like
"red tide". Will Google this..